I LOVE breakfast!!!! It is my favorite meal, which is why at times I have it for lunch and/or dinner 🙂 . Well a favorite of the BF is what he called a ‘Hash brown Sausage Sandwich’. It was two hash brown patties with a big piece of sausage in the middle. This is the one thing he raved about from his time in the Army ( he was stationed at Ft. Bragg). So to change this up into a healthy version I looked to two things, a easy hash brown recipe and a healthy sausage recipe.
I have found both.
The hash brown recipe is from here. And goes as follows.
What you need
- Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 pounds Potatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Onions
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Sea Salt, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used Sargento)
How to make it
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Peel the potatoes. Using a cheese grater, grate the potatoes into thin strips.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much water as you can from the potatoes.
- transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, paprika, onions, and cheese.
- Then flatten the mixture into two 8in pie pans. ( I like to do it this way so there is less work compared to making 1/4 cup patties)
- Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove pie pans from the oven. They should be browned on the bottom. Flip each one over and flatten slightly.( I use a plate to flip them over with)
- Return to oven and bake for another 30ish minutes ( I like to check the outside edges to see if they are crunchy, but not burnt)