So another night and for some reason I was craving some risotto. I had all the items but wanted to include some vegetables to the mix. I then found a recipe on Whole Foods and decided to tweak it.
What you need
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound (about 1/2 bunch) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked (short-grain) brown rice
- 2 carrots, trimmed and chopped
- 2 summer squash, trimmed and chopped
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
How to make it
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring gently, until toasted and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the broth-water mixture and cook, stirring constantly and adjusting heat if needed to maintain a simmer, until liquid is almost absorbed. Repeat process, adding about 1/2 cup of the broth-water mixture each time, until rice is just beginning to get tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add carrots and continue process with broth-water mixture. When rice is just al dente and carrots are just tender, add squash and cook 5 minutes more. (If broth mixture gets low, add water as needed.)
- Stir peas and asparagus into rice and cook until hot throughout, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add cheese, butter, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add about 1/2 cup more of the broth-water mixture to finished risotto before serving, if you like.